The Herald Hotel in Clayton
Herald House, also known as the Herald Hotel, was built in the late 1880s by Napoleon Bertrand, who operated it until his death in 1916, when it was taken over by his wife Clara and their son Harold. After Clara’s death in 1927, Harold continued to operate the business. It was later sold to Jack Varno, who had been an employee at Bertrand’s, another hotel in Clayton. Later, it was sold to Allen Benas and operated as the Thousand Island Inn. It was refurbished in 2015. Circa 1930. Clayton, NY. From the Thousand Islands Museum.
North Country Public Radio is not the owner or holder of copyright for any images within the North Country at Work archive. For uses of a photo (other than educational or non-commercial purposes), contact the photo’s institution of origin.