The nursing staff of the Saranac Lake General Hospital
The nursing staff of the Saranac Lake General Hospital. The General Hospital was built in 1913, when a week’s stay cost $10 per week. Use of the operating room was $5 per procedure. There was room for twelve patients at a time. Unlike much of the rest of the healthcare industry in Saranac Lake, General Hospital was not a tuberculosis hospital. Tuberculosis patients were only ever admitted for surgical procedures. In 1967, the General Hospital moved locations (now at 285 Old Lake Colby Road) and was later renamed the Saranac Lake Health Center. It is a member of the Adirondack Health network. 1964. Saranac Lake, NY. Courtesy of Historic Saranac Lake.
North Country Public Radio is not the owner or holder of copyright for any images within the North Country at Work archive. For uses of a photo (other than educational or non-commercial purposes), contact the photo’s institution of origin.