Carbola machine shop and shaft in Natural Bridge
The machine shop and shaft #1 at the Carbola Chemical Company Mine and Plant, which was located in the village of Natural Bridge in the Town of Diana, Lewis County. Mining of talc occurred at this site from 1900 to the 1970s, under management of the St. Lawrence Talc Company, Carbola Chemical Company, and International Talc. The site included a 600 foot deep mine shaft, a talc mill, laboratory, machine shops, offices, and several storage buildings. In peak production about 100 workers were employed at the plant.
1919. Natural Bridge, NY. Printed by the Severance photo studio in Watertown.
Check out this North Country at Work story to learn more about the Carbola Chemical Company.
North Country Public Radio is not the owner or holder of copyright for any images within the North Country at Work archive. For uses of a photo (other than educational or non-commercial purposes), contact the photo’s institution of origin.