The outside of Martin’s Hotel in Saranac Lake
Martin’s Hotel, officially known as The Saranac Lake House, was one of the most famous hotels in the Adirondacks. Its famous guest list included President Teddy Roosevelt and Vice President William Wheeler. A passage from Wallace’s Guide to the Adirondacks, 1875, p. 114: “‘Martin’s, one of the far-famed gateways to the Wilderness, is a most desirable tarrying place for all in quest of health or sporting recreation. The house has recently been greatly enlarged and now affords apartments for 250 guests. The parlors are 64 ft. and the dining hall 84 ft. in length. The rooms are generally large and airy, and are furnished with taste and neatness, and while occupying them one may enjoy most of the comforts of the ‘St. Nicholas’ or ‘Fifth Avenue,’ together with all the rare and dainty viands the region yields, and at the same time command an exquisite view of the varied beauties that lake, mountain and forest ever give.” 1875. Saranac Lake, NY. Courtesy of Historic Saranac Lake.
North Country Public Radio is not the owner or holder of copyright for any images within the North Country at Work archive. For uses of a photo (other than educational or non-commercial purposes), contact the photo’s institution of origin.