Office, laboratory and storehouse of the St. Lawrence Pyrites Company in Stellaville
Office, laboratory and storehouse of the St. Lawrence Pyrites Co located on the northwest corner of the entrance road to the mine (today County Route 17). A mine chemist, Peter M. Durban, analyzed ore samples for sulphur content. The printing on the rear barn is “Chas. Noble, 1896” the farm owner prior to ownership by Stella Mines. The first floor was cleared for dancing in the aftermath of mining from 1929 to 1934. Leland Young of Hermon called square dances – he and his brothers were paid a couple of dollars a night for running the place. Photo circa 1910-1920. Stellaville in the Town of De Kalb, NY.
North Country Public Radio is not the owner or holder of copyright for any images within the North Country at Work archive. For uses of a photo (other than educational or non-commercial purposes), contact the photo’s institution of origin.