The Berkeley House for tuberculosis patients in Saranac Lake
Berkeley House, the center building, was built in 1875 as a hotel for tuberculosis patients who came to Saranac Lake for treatment. It burned in 1981. A small brass band is playing in the middle of Main Street in front of the Berkeley. At far right is the C. J. Carey Company in the Coulter Block; to its left is Leonard’s. Circa 1909. Saranac Lake, NY. Courtesy of Historic Saranac Lake.
North Country Public Radio is not the owner or holder of copyright for any images within the North Country at Work archive. For uses of a photo (other than educational or non-commercial purposes), contact the photo’s institution of origin.