The original post office in Wanakena
The original Wanakena post office, which opened in 1902. At the time of this photo, the post office contained over 2,000 PO boxes. When the town’s lumber company left the area in 1912, the population went down and the post office no longer needed its own building, so it was moved into the general store around 1918. The building then became a print shop and is now a home. Left to right: unknown, Bullock’s granddaughter Madge, and George Bullock, who was the first postmaster. Circa 1910. Wanakena, NY.
North Country Public Radio is not the owner or holder of copyright for any images within the North Country at Work archive. For uses of a photo (other than educational or non-commercial purposes), contact the photo’s institution of origin.